Interested in a great job or a career as a professional Lifeguard? The Y is the areas premiere lifeguard training center, running classes and programs to certify or re-certify lifeguards and lifeguard trainers year-round. Successful course completion involves both written and practical examinations. Job Placement assistance is available for successful students!! Please click on the tabs below prior to signing up!
Next Session: April 17-19th, 2020
For times please read tabs below.
$175 per person
Registration deadline: April 8, 2020
Prior to sign up please contact Alana at [email protected] to schedule the prerequisite swim test. The swim test includes:
- Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs, with hands under armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface to breathe (or to get a breath).
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
American Red Cross Lifeguarding classes are for adults or young adults age 15 and over. Blended Learning lifeguard training classes provide 7 hours of online coursework to be completed prior to entering the classroom. This will enable the in-person lifeguard training sessions to be held in a shorter amount of time.
Seven hours of online coursework needs to be completed by the first day of class. You will receive a record verifying your successful completion of the online portion and this should be brought to the first day of class.
To complete your certification you must successfully perform all required skills, complete and pass 3 final skill scenarios, and pass the written exam with a grade of at least 80%.
The next schedule is scheduled for April 10th-12th, 2020.
Times as follow:
Friday, April 10th –> 5:00 pm -8:30 pm
Saturday, April 11th –> 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
Sunday, April 12th –> 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
1 hour lunch break on Saturday & Sunday.
The program is offered in direct partnership with the American Red Cross; no refunds can be issued.